This page provides a listing of hot topics that we are covering from the field. WIthin each topic area, you will find links to more extensive information. Be sure to check back with us on this page, as we will be updating as new topics arise.
AB 705 Multiple Measures Assessment and Placement (amends the Student Success Act of 2012)
- AB 705 became effective on January 1, 2018. The law authorizes “the board of governors to establish regulations governing the use of measures, instruments, and placement models to ensure that these measures, instruments, and placement models achieve the goal of maximizing the probability that a student will enter and complete transfer-level coursework in English and mathematics within a one-year timeframe.”
- The new regulation poses questions for students with specific disabilities that may require more than one year to enter and complete transfer-level coursework in English and mathematics.
Resources on this include:
- July 11, 2018 Memorandum from Laura L. Hope (Executive Vice Chancellor, CCCCO) and John Stanskas (President, Academic Senate for CCC) to the California Community Colleges and Districts. Available in both PDF format and Word version.
- California Community Colleges Assessment and Placement website (extensive information on implementation of the law): What is AB 705?
RP Group Conference PPT Presentation on Impact of AB 705 on Special Populations. (April 2018)
Extended Time on Assignments and Homework
We have received a number of requests for support with accommodations for students requesting extended time for assignments and homework. Each case is unique; however, each case should follow similar process and procedure, and these are laid out in Title 5 Section 56000, which states that any academic adjustments, auxiliary aids, services and/or instruction funded, in whole or in part, under authority of this subchapter must:
- be directly related to the educational limitations of the verified disabilities of the students to be served;
- be directly related to the students’ participation in the educational process;
- promote the maximum independence and integration of students with disabilities;
- not include any change to curriculum or course of study that is so significant that it alters the required objectives or content of the curriculum in the approved course outline, thereby causing a fundamental alteration.
Title 5 Section 56027 Academic Adjustments and the CCCCO’s Implementing Guidelines for the regulation make it clear that colleges “shall establish a policy and procedure for responding to, in a timely manner consistent with Section 53203… requests involving academic adjustments. This procedure shall provide for an individualized review of each request.”
- Colleges should periodically review their policy and procedures for responding to requests involving academic adjustments for compliance and currency.
- Timely and active participation with the student in the interactive process is essential to determining academic adjustments. A case in point is Simmons College.
To review OCR cases related to extended time on assignments, homework, and testing (or any other topic), visit the DOE OCR Search Page. Be sure to select the appropriate document types and statutes when you enter your search.
- We have received a number of requests for support with accommodations for students requesting extended time for assignments and homework. Each case is unique; however, each case should follow similar process and procedure, and these are laid out in Title 5 Section 56000, which states that any academic adjustments, auxiliary aids, services and/or instruction funded, in whole or in part, under authority of this subchapter must:
CCCCO Guided Pathways
- Guided Pathways are well underway throughout the state. For information on current research and practices, visit the CCC Guided Pathways News Center.
California Community Colleges Guided Pathways Homepage provides a comprehensive overview of resources and information available.
Video Remote Interpreting
- The Chancellor's Office has secured special pricing for California Community Colleges for Video Remote Interpreting Services (VRI). See the flyer from CC Group Educational VRI for details.
- Stay tuned, more to come next week!