How to File an OCR Complaint and How to Search for Cases
Agencies Providing Oversight and Legal Actions
- Department of Education (DOE), Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
Department of Justice (DOJ), Civil Rights Division
- Some of these cases can be searched and downloaded at: ADA.gov, by entering the name of the case into the search box in the upper right hand corner. However, these cases are not restricted to just postsecondary education.
How to Locate an OCR Case
To locate OCR Resolution Letters and Agreements, go to the Office for Civil Rights Recent Resolution Search page. Then use the following directions to find relevant cases:
Enter the topic in the search field at the top of the page
- A sample topic would be “extended time on assignments”
- Select how you want the results presented (ordered by institution name or by date resolved; the default is by institution name)
Using the fields in the column on the left side of the page, select all criteria to by which you wish to limit your results:
- State (click Show more to see all options)
- Type of Institution
- Statute (Select Disability Discrimination)
- Type of Discrimination (click Show more to see all options)
- Resolved Date (you will see the number of cases related to your topic in parenthesis following the year)
- Your results will appear directly on this search page, with options for downloading the letter and the agreement.
- You may also want to use the search feature on the Type of Discrimination Search page if you feel you need more directed assistance with your search.
- Enter the topic in the search field at the top of the page
How to locate Open OCR Cases Currently Under Investigation, go to the Pending Cases Currently Under Investigation page. Then use the following directions to find relevant cases.
- Select “Disability Discrimination” and search the list, which is arranged by state.