Relevant OCR Decisions and Lawsuits
This section of the website is divided into ten topic areas addressing legal aspects of serving students with disabilities in postsecondary education. Some cases may address more than one topic area, and in those instances, we have tried to place them in all that apply.
The OCR letters and court cases relate to access and discrimination from around the US, with specific emphasis on California.
Use the links below to select your area of interest.
Definition of a Disability
- This section addresses: Otherwise Qualified, ADA/504 Legal Implementation Issues, Fundamental Alteration, Undue Burden, Discrimination, Retaliation, and Harassment.
- This section addresses: Academic Adjustments, Auxiliary Aids, Services, and Instruction; Substitutions and Waivers; Testing; and Other Accommodations.
- Physical Access and Architectural Barriers
- Technology and Electronic Accessibility
- Alternate Media
- Service Animals
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Vocational and Clinical Training Programs and Disability
- Mental Health
- Policies, Procedures, and Processes